Winter Warming Pho Ga Soup
( Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup )
- 5 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 brown onion
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger
- 1.5 litres of water
- 2 tbsp organic tamari
- 1 tsp fysh sauce
- 1/2 tsp organic sesame oil
- 4 tbsp of Chicken Bone Broth - Homestyle Mushroom
- 250g tofu
- 1 zucchini1 tbsp coconut sugar
- A selection of greens and mushrooms. We used broccolini, choy sum, sprouts, spring onions, snow peas, kale and button mushrooms.
- A handful of herbs, you could use mint, coriander and or Thai basil
1. Char the whole onion (including the skin) and ginger over a gas flame (using a pair of tongs) or place in the oven under the grill heat for 10 mins or so until lightly charred. Once there is some char or colour on the outer skin, remove it from the onion but leave the onion whole.
2. Lightly toast the star anise, coriander seeds and cinnamon stick for 30 seconds in a hot pan.
3. Place a large pot with 1.5 litres of water onto a medium heat. Add in the spices, onion, ginger and broth powder, then gently simmer for 20 mins.
4. Prepare the greens, chop and trim them so they're ready to be added. Spiralise the zucchini.
5. Cut tofu into 1cm thick chunks, season with salt and drizzle over a little oil, then sprinkle over sesame seeds on both sides.
6. Gently fry the tofu on each side until it is golden brown. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside on some paper towel, drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil.
7. Season the broth with fish sauce, coconut sugar, tamari an sesame oil
8. Strain the broth to remove onion, ginger and spices, then add back to the pot, and add in zucchini and any heartier greens that need cooking for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
9. Once greens are cooked, serve into bowls along with the broth, tofu and remaining toppings.
This recipe was adapted from Nutra Organics.
You can find more recipes similar to this one by visiting their website: https://nutraorganics.com.au/