Sesame Maple Tofu Bowl
My favourite types of meals are those where I get a bunch of ingredients and pop them all into a bowl. Sometimes it’s pretty basic with just come rice, spinach and beans but this time we’re getting a little creative. I made a killer marinade (if I do say so myself) for some tofu and combined it with some fresh produce to create one satisfying meal and one that’s become a staple.
For the full video recipe, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ugKNyBbcg. But if you’re interested in the written version, keep on reading!
I bought some tofu, not really knowing what I wanted. I looked into my fridge and saw all my favourite sauces and condiments and thought why not mix a few together? I was lacking in tahini, so I thought hummus would make an okay replacement considering it has tahini in it. And oh how I was so so right, it’s amazing. Do yourself a favour and make this sweet/spicy and creamy marinade. And if you don’t usually like tofu, I think you’re just doing it wrong. It’s all about what you marinade it in.
Ingredients: (for 2)
- 1 cup of rice of choice
- 350g firm tofu (dry out and press for optimum yum)
- handful of mushrooms
- bunch of broccolini
- 1/2 cup capsicum
- 1/2 purple cabbage
- 1 medium radish
- head of baby cos lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- punnet cherry tomatoes
- juice of half a lemon
- black pepper
For the tofu marinade:
- Chop your tofu into desired chunks. I did mine about 1 cm thickness lengthwise. Press and dry out.
- Make your marinade, mix all your ingredients together.
- Prepare your veggies. Chop chop chop.
- Marinate tofu and let soak for at least 30 mins.
- Sauté your sliced mushrooms with a little bit of water on a non-stick pan. Add in lemon, black pepper and a dash of tamari. Leave aside once done.
- Cook broccolini how desired. I just sautéed it in a pan with a bit of water until cooked.
- In a non-stick pan (important you guys!), ‘fry’ your tofu until all the moisture has been absorbed up.
- Plate up your food and add in a little bit of avo if you’re feeling savvy.
I honestly was impressed with how good the tofu tasted. And to think, it’s just a mix of my favourite sauces. Guess that means favourite sauce x favourite sauce = ultimate sauce. What makes this sauce though, is the hummus. So go grab some hummus, your staple sauce and get marinating! It’ll be a meal you’ll definitely devoured happily.
Enjoy, friends x