Mother's Day Coco Creme Cake
Mother's Day Coconut Creme Cake
- 650ml coconut milk
- 1.5 cups desiccated coconut
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup Stevia or xylitol
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cup cashews, soaked 2-4 hours or overnight
- 1/3 cup stevia or xylitol
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- Punnet fresh strawberries, half sliced horizontally (for the middle layer), half halved vertically (to top)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line round cake pans with baking paper and grease the sides with coconut oil.
- In a food processor or cake mixer, combine the flours, stevia, baking soda and salt.
- Add coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract; process/whisk until batter is smooth.
- Gently fold through desiccated coconut.
- Next, add in lemon juice, whisk quickly and scoop into the prepared cake pans, distributing evenly.
- Bake the cakes for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. They should be firm and golden.
- Cool in pans for at least 15 minutes before carefully pulling the sides away from the edges of the pan, removing the cakes entirely and setting them aside on a cooling rack for a further 20 minutes or so.
- Whilst the cakes bake, prepare the frosting. Blend all ingredients together in a high-powered blender or processor until thick and smooth. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, use the oven to bake the coconut flakes for 8-10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- To assemble the cake: place one of the cakes onto a plate and spread 1/3 of the frosting on top. Layer with sliced strawberries.
- Next, place the second cake on top of the frosting and berries and press down gently to firmly secure.
- Smooth the remaining frosting over the top and down sides (if desired).
- Decorate with halved strawberries and toasted coconut.
- Garnish the top of the cake with the remaining toasted coconut.
- Serve immediately, or place the cake in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to allow the frosting to further thicken.