Vegan Broccoli, Spinach & Cheddar Soup
Broccoli, Spinach & “Cheddar” Soup
For: 2-4 serves
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- ½ cup water
- 1 brown onion sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp seasoning
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- In a clean tea towel, dry chickpeas thoroughly.
- Spread dried chickpeas on a baking tray, lined with baking paper, season and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Mince the garlic in pan with coconut oil, and allow to stand for 10 minutes to activate beneficial constituents.
- Meanwhile slice the onions and add them to the pan.
- Next, boil water in a large pot with a steamer.
- Trim your broccoli stalk slightly, but ensure you don't waste too much of the stem, then chop it up to fit into your steamer.
- Once water is boiling, steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Begin to sauté garlic and onions until they soften.
- Add 1 cup of spinach to the pan, allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Set aside.
- Once the broccoli, spinach, onion, garlic and spinach mix are ready, place it all in your high-speed blender with vegetable broth, ½ cup water, nutritional yeast, seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy (you may need to do this in parts, depending on the size of your blender). Note: if you prefer a thinner soup, feel free to add another 1/2 cup liquid, until it is your desired consistency.
- Throw the last ½ cup of spinach onto the stove and pan-fry until wilted, for topping.
- Pour your soup into bowls to serve immediately, or keep it on the stove in a pot over low heat until ready to consume.
- Top with the a sprinkle of the wilted spinach, and a handful of crispy chickpeas!