Berry and Avocado smoothie bowl
Are you ready to start your morning with a grin on your face? All it takes is this one simple smoothie bowl recipe to turn the corners of your mouth into a beautiful smile. Don’t forget to be creative with your toppings!
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries: Berries are high in antioxidants, low in sugar and delicious in taste. They also help sharpen the brain and boost our energy
- 1 cup chopped spinach (can use frozen): I love using smoothies to sneak some greens in. Adding spinach to a smoothie bowl doesn’t alter the taste but it does alter the nutritional value… and sometimes colour! Spinach is a great plant-based source of iron, and it can even help lower cholesterol.
- 1 firm ripe avocado peeled and pitted: Avocado, the delicious fruit, helps make our smoothie bowl super creamy. It provides a healthy source of fat to help us absorb all of the vitamins we’re eating! Speaking of vitamins and minerals, avocadoes also contains nearly all 20 of them!
- 1 ½ cups coconut water or coconut milk: Both so refreshing and help keep us hydrated
- 6 drops liquid stevia or sweetener of choice i.e. manuka honey (optional): Everyone needs a little sweetness in their life
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more milk to thin if necessary
- Divide between 2 serving bowls and top with desired toppings (i.e. Chia seeds, Hemp seeds, Granola, Dried mango)
Fresh berries – again, berries are so high in antioxidants and they’re super colourful.
Avocado slices – weird, I know, but nothing gets likes on instagram more than avocado
Chia seeds – these small seeds are great for digestion because they’re loaded with fibre. They’re also high in protein, omega-3’s and calcium - even more than milk!
Hemp seeds – my favourite seed at the moment! They’re nutrient-dense, providing a great source of protein, fibre, essential fats, vitamins and minerals. Hemp seeds can increase immunity; provide sustained energy and lower cholesterol. Hemp seeds are going to be one of the most-talked about trend in 2018.
Unsweetened coconut flakes – taste delicious and provide a beautiful source of healthy fat
Granola – super yummy! Just make sure you’re not buying granolas that are full of processed ingredients, artificial sweeteners and sugars. Instead, you can bulk buy a few of the ingredients, like grains, nuts and seeds from Sprout and make your own with delicious spices!
Pistachios/flaked almonds – both nuts are high in protein and fat and add a crunch to our smoothie bowl
Banana – is a smoothie bowl really finished without banana? Bananas are full of potassium, improve digestion and increase our energy!
Dried mango – dried mango may be high in calories but it provides a wonderful source of vitamin A, to help regulate metabolism. Plus, it’s the most moorish snack ever and it reminds of summer and summer makes me happy.