Beetroot is a nutrient-rich root vegetable that provides us with good quantities of fibre, folate and vitamins A and C. Their antioxidant content encourages cell repair, fighting the signs of aging; their content of betaine protects our cells from stressors preventing/reducing inflammation; carotenoids rich in beets help to prevent age-related macular degeneration, keeping our eyes sharp and bright; the nitrate content may assist in lowering blood pressure, improving athletic stamina and stimulating blood flow to the brain; and their betalin pigments, betaine and pectin support liver function and detoxification, critical for optimal health and beauty!
See below beetroot recipe, the rest I will comment alongside your email in red.
- 1 can (400g) organic chickpeas (best unsalted)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3-4 tbsp filtered water
- 1 large lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
- 2 small bulbs beetroot peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup orange juice 100% natural
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Line a small baking dish with non-stick paper and place the beetroot quarters on there.
- Pour the orange juice over, and bake for approx 40 mins, until easily pierced by a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-20 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare hummus by blending all the other ingredients together until smooth and creamy, using water/extra virgin olive oil to thin until your desired consistency.
- Once ready, blend with the cooked beetroot and caraway seeds until smooth.